Sign in or
The Rising Sun
The Rising Sun community Newspapers (PTY) LTD is a group of newspapers and distributors in the KwaZulu Natal region.
The Rising Sun newspaper is a weekly English-language community newspaper based in KwaZulu Natal. It has a circulation of 60 000readers in the Chatsworth, Merebank, Mid South Coast, Overport and the Tongaat, Verulam & Phoenix communities .
The Rising Sun community newspaper was started with a North Coast paper in 1986 and became a proper newspaper in 1993 as The Chatsworth Rising Sun . In January 1997 the North Coast Rising Sun was sold and The Phoenix Sun was established. The Merebank Sun followed in 1999 and The Overport Sun in 2000 .
STAFFING AND OWNERSHIP
The Rising Sun newspapers are partly owned by Caxton and CTP Publishers and Printers whom it entered into a partnership with in 2003 . The newspaper's CEO is Vijay Maharaj .
The paper's target audiences are people in the communities to which the newspapers are distributed as the content deals mostly with local affairs . The paper is distributed once a week on Wednesdays and is delivered in print to a readership within the specific community domain. The editorial deadline for submission of stories is at 12:00 noon on Fridays .
The Rising Sun Chatworth has recently migrated to its own online platform on looklocal.co.za where it will publish local news, classifieds and business directories . They hope that the newspaper's new online presence will help them to provide a platform for advertising for local businesses as well as a space for local schools to publish their own news . They believe that despite the benefits of accessing news online the traditional community newspaper will remain the primary source of local news . The Phoenix Verulam Tongaat division of the Rising Sun also has an online presence on looklocal.co.za.
Under the larger head of The Rising Sun are the individual papers of the Chatsworth Sun, Merebank Sun, Mid South Coast Sun, Overport Sun, Phoenix Sun, Verulam Sun and the Tongaat Sun which all serve different communities. Because of their relationship they are all in 'friendly' competition with one another to see who can get the most papers deliveredor distributed and reach the appropriate target figures for the month. They believe that this healthy competition helps them to maintain a high standard of work . Caxton also has ownership of other community newspapers which also participate in the friendly competition of the Rising Sun. These papers serve different communities, such as the Pinetown region, Highway Mail, the Durban North region, Northglen News, the Queensburgh region, Queensburgh News and the Berea region, The Berea News. These papers are thus also compared to those which fall under the Rising Sun and through this the papers are able to see how they can improve and ensure readership continues to grow. The online presence of these papers is also another reason why the Rising Sun has felt the push to ensure their papers have online sites. This competition allows them to keep their readership high .
The Looklocal Chatsworth page was nominated for an award in August 2012 and won a TV from Moneyweb for attracting 68 950 unique visitors to its site in July 2012 . The Rising Sun's Director and CEO Vijay Maharaj won the Metropolitan Manager of the year award in March 2012 .
In September 2009, The Rising Sun got its first search on the online database with a total of 72 hits. Throughout the next three years the spikes of interest have increased and decreased with it reaching its maximum in January 2012. During the year of 2012, the newspaper's trending on Google has been on the decrease and this could affect the readership of the newspaper .
Aware that the wiki was being written.
tel: (031) 501-5877
1. Targetmedia.com. 2012. "Rising Sun Community Newspapers (PTY) LTD" Retrieved on 11 October 2012 fromhttp://www.targetmedia.co.za/media/publisher/1127/rising-sun-community-newspapers-pty-ltd
2. Caxton.co.za. 2012. "Caxton & CTP publishers and printers" Retrieved on 12 October 2012 fromhttp://www.caxton.co.za/pages/pub_CommNews.htm
3. RUconnected.co.za. 2012. "The Media List: Trade, Technical, Country & Suburban Press" pg 47. Retrieved on 11 October 2012 fromhttp://ruconnected.ru.ac.za/file.php/3380/The_Media_List_-_Trade_Technical_Country_Suburban_Press_-_October_2012.pdf
4. Looklocal.co.za. 2012. "Chatsworth goes online" Retrieved on 14 October 2012 fromhttp://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/content/en/chatsworth/chatsworth-news-general?oid=4660887&sn=Detail&pid=1171669&Chatsworth-goes-online
5. MediaUpdate.co.za. 2007. "The Rising Sun" Retrieved on 14 October 2012 fromhttp://www.mediaupdate.co.za/?IDStory=4262
6. Looklocal.co.za. 2012. "looklocal Chatsworth wins a TV" Retrieved on 14 October 2012 fromhttp://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/content/en/chatsworth/chatsworth-news-general?oid=6087575&sn=Detail&pid=1171674&looklocal-Chatsworth-wins-a-TV
7. Looklocal.co.za 2012. "Rising Sun brings home the Oscar" Retrieved on 14 October 2012 fromhttp://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/content/en/chatsworth/chatsworth-news-general?oid=5308788&sn=Detail&pid=null&Rising-Sun-brings-home-the-Oscar-
8. Thehighwaymail.co.za. 2010. "Caxton community newspapers" Retrieved on 14 October 2012 fromhttp://www.thehighwaymail.co.za/
9. Google.co.za. 2012. "Google Trends: interest over time" Retrieved on 14 October 2012 fromhttp://www.google.co.za/tren
Latest page update: made by JadedeSousa
, Oct 14 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by JadedeSousa
11 words added
6 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: caxton chatsworth chatsworth sun community newspaper community newspaper durban community newspaper kzn kwazulu natal newspaper merebank merebank sun newspaper online overport overport sun press rising sun south africa media the rising sun tongaat sun tongaat verulam phoenix vijay maharaj
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.